We have collected a list of the most frequently asked questions that our patients usually ask us. The questions might involve daily oral hygiene care or about our latest treatments, and we understand that you deserve your questions to be answered.
Why should I floss, isn’t brushing enough?
Flossing can help reduce the production of bacteria in your mouth. Even after brushing your teeth, some bacteria might still stay in your mouth, but when you floss, you will be able to get rid of the bacteria stuck between your teeth which your brush missed. If you don’t floss, the bacteria will harden over time, forming tartar and cause decay or other oral health problems.
How can I prevent cavities?
Tips to prevent cavities:
- Brush for two to three minutes.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Keep a check on sugar consumption.
- If you cannot brush after every meal, then rinsing your mouth with water might help.
- Do not skip your regular dental visits.
Why are my teeth turning yellow?
Your pearly white teeth might get discolored over time due to the wearing down of enamel. This wearing down lets dentin, a yellow color substance that helps in making the core of our teeth, starts showing through. That is why the teeth have a yellowish tint.
Are oral piercings dangerous?
Oral piercings can end up causing potential issues like:
- Taste loss
- Chipped teeth
- Tooth loss
- The increased flow of saliva
- Excessive bleeding
If you want to place a piercing in or around your mouth, do talk to the dentist about it first. If you have already got your oral piercings done and have any of these issues, then visit your dentist immediately.
How can I prevent having bad breath?
You can prevent having a bad breath by following the steps below:
- Practicing good oral hygiene
- Brushing at least twice a day using fluoride toothpaste.
- Flossing daily at least once a day to remove food debris and plaque stuck between the teeth and under the gumline.
- Visiting your dentist regularly for a routine dental checkup.
- Quit smoking/chewing tobacco
- Drinking enough water
- Using antiseptic mouthwash/rinses
Can I use smokeless tobacco? Is it harmful?
Smokeless tobacco might sound good, but they are as much harm as well. It can cause issues like:
- A sore that doesn’t heal
- Having a lump or white patch
- Sore throat
- Have difficulty while chewing
- Restricted movement of the tongue or jaw.
Why do I need regular dental exams?
It is essential to visit your dentist for regular dental exams at least twice a year or as recommended by your dentist to keep your teeth and gums healthy. During the dental check-up, your dentist will remove any plaque and tartar buildup. He/she will examine your whole mouth and discuss with you the right dental treatment required for the identified oral issue.
Are sweets and ice really bad for my teeth?
Sweets are bad for your teeth because the sugar in them can affect your oral health. When the bacteria in your mouth breaks down the sugar into acids it can dissolve your tooth enamel; it might result in tooth decay and gum disease.
Biting ice is equally bad as they cause microfractures, thus, leading to cracking of the tooth.
How will I know when I need a crown?
You may need a crown if you desire to achieve any of the following:
- To keep your tooth secure after a root canal procedure.
- Save a tooth with an advanced cavity.
- Restore a broken or fractured tooth.
- Cover a misshapen or stained tooth.
- To fill a gap from a missing tooth with a dental bridge.
- Restore a weak tooth.
Why is my tooth still sensitive after a filling?
Sensitivity is quite normal after getting a filling and will resolve within a few days or weeks. If you experience persisting pain, discomfort, and other symptoms like redness, swelling, or fever, call your dentist right away.
What can I do to minimize tooth sensitivity?
To minimize tooth sensitivity, follow the steps below:
- Don’t brush too hard.
- Avoid acidic foods and drinks.
- Consume fiber-rich fruits, vegetables, Cheese, Milk, and Plain yogurt.
- Unclench your teeth by using mouthguards.
- Take a break from bleaching.
- Use fluoride toothpaste.
- Visit your dentist before the problem worsens.
What can I do to whiten and brighten my teeth?
There are a number of ways to whiten and brighten your teeth. Have a look:
- Brush regularly using a soft-bristled brush to remove stains on teeth.
- Use FDA approve, over-the-counter tooth-bleaching products.
- Use whitening toothpaste or whitening mouth rinses.
- We would always recommend getting professional teeth whitening as it is the most effective and safest of all.
If you have any question for us that isn’t answered here, please give us a call at 262-634-8662, and we will be happy to give you all of the required information.